Monday, April 5, 2010

The half pound dilemma and other weighty issues

So I have a dilemma (if I weren't pregnant I would writing "God has blessed me with a miracle!"): I'm losing a half pound or so every day. I lost another half pound from yesterday to this morning. This morning, in an attempt to combat this issue, I went to Jamba Juice and got oatmeal with bananas and brown sugar. I also got the largest size of their Berry Protein Workout shake. It has whey (or soy) protein and then an added boost. I got my vitamins. I'm not sure how many calories I consumed this morning, but hopefully it'll be enough to maintain my weight. I'm not sure what I'm doing for lunch or dinner yet, but I'm hoping to keep the calorie count for the day around 2000. I've been eating around 1600 calories a day...apparently it's not enough.

I've made some major decisions in my life recently. It's amazing how you think you're on one course and suddenly something happens to change it all. Mine was a series of somethings. I decided to become a surro for so many reasons. Some I've mentioned here, some I haven't. My major thing is that I want to help people. That's part of the reason I wanted to become a lawyer. I figured I could do family law and help families through hard times, help with adoptions and even surrogacy. The more I've talked to my Criminal Justice professor (who went to law school) I don't think I'd be able to help the way I want to. There is one other thing I've been researching and looking into for over a year now...midwifery.

Ever since my last birth I knew this was one way I could truly help families, and specifically women. My husband and I talked about it and we've decided that we could do this. I'm so excited! The only real issue there was going to be was whether we wanted to cut back our lifestyle in order to deal with the cut in income. Once hubby ran the numbers we figured we would actually come out ahead because we won't have astronomical student loans to pay back. We've also talked about if I decide years down the road that I do want to go back and go to law school, I can.

So, I go get my CPR certifications renewed this month and then I'll submit my application for the midwifery program through the Association of Texas Midwives. The first class is in October. It's two days right here in San Antonio. I'm so excited!

No comments: