Sunday, January 4, 2009

Things that go BUMP in the night...

So as is common for me, especially when pregnant, I get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, or get a drink. More often then not, when I'm pregnant, I also eat.

My husband, who works third shift, finds it funny when I come stumbling out of the bedroom at all hours of the night and make my way to the kitchen. Last night was no exception. Now let me start by explaining that I sleep "au naturale"...I just can't stand the feel of PJ's while trying to sleep. Secondly, as I mentioned earlier, I get up in the middle of the night...this is far different from waking up in the middle of the night. When I get up, I'm somewhat awake, but certainly not enough to make any major decisions or operate any heavy machinery.

Back to last night...

I remember getting up and using the restroom. The baby, in his typical fashion, was bouncing on my bladder. I'm almost certain these days he does it out of spite...perhaps as pay back for eating spicy foods, or anything Italian. (More on that later!) So I make it to the restroom, and suddenly realize I'm parched and must have a drink. Still wondering if I'm in a dream and at the same time trying to figure out why a family friend was in my dreams and what that all meant, I stumble out my bedroom door, and into the hallway. My bedroom is just off of the living room...and our floor plan boasts an open living room and kitchen area. So I stumble out of the bedroom, dressed in what God gave me, turn down the "hallway" and immediately into the kitchen. This is a path I have taken literally hundreds of times before. Sometimes my journey ends when I get a drink...but sometimes I feel the urge to eat anything I can get my hands on. There have been mornings when I wake to realize the last yogurt cup has been eaten, or I had carrots or some other fresh fruit/veggie. Luckily I've never tried to actually cook something. (There's a recipe for disaster. Splattering grease, naked pregnant body...half asleep woman trapped in naked pregnant body...enough said.)

So there I am, in the kitchen. I stop at the refrigerator and get the chocolate milk out. I chug it for...well, I take a nice long drink. I replace the lid, say goodnight to my husband and walk back to the bedroom. Since Christmas, we've had a couple of rolls of wrapping paper behind our door that I need to take care of. So I get to the bedroom, and open the door. I apparently open it much harder then I had expected to, because the door bounced off the wrapping paper rolls, and back at me as I was walking through the door. The door hit me in the head, which fully woke me up. I turn around and from what I can see (because I don't have my glasses on and I'm nearly blind without them) hubby is desperately trying not to laugh at me. He asks if I'm OK...and all I can manage is "I walked into the door." I'm sure I sounded like a 3 year old whining to her daddy...but it hurt, and I was tired. I stood there rubbing my eyes for a few which point I turned and promptly walked into the door again.

It was at this point that I heard DH do that laugh that you can try to pass off as a sneeze. You know the one you do when you're trying really hard not to laugh. Yep, that's the one I hear from across the living room. I just walked into the bedroom and went back to bed. I'm sure my husband had a good laugh at my expense...and I'm sure it won't be the last time I walk into the door.

So, an update on the baby. We have an ultrasound tomorrow to find out if there's a girl or a boy in there. As many have seen, I keep saying "he", "him", and so on, but we don't know for sure. The baby has been super busy moving around in there and just being generally active. Throughout this pregnancy I've had issues with eating garlic, but have more recently added nearly any Italian food to the list. Especially red sauces...those give me horrible heartburn! The baby doesn't like these at all, and if I try to eat them, I swear he tries to get out through my belly button just to escape the food.

We went to court on Friday for the PBO. The judge granted it without hesitation. He said his daughter had to use a surrogate because she can't carry a pregnancy. It was kind of nice having a judge who understood the process and why we were there on a personal level.

Well, that's about it. I'll have a huge update tomorrow! (And I'll include pictures!)

No comments: