Saturday, August 30, 2008

Doah...aka How I shot myself twice

Every Friday night my family and I get together with several other families and play games. Usually us adults play poker or DnD (Dungeons and Dragons) and the kids play Guitar Hero, Rock Band, or just run around like rabid monkeys.

Last night was no different. This time, instead of staying at our house (like we do on Payday Friday's) we went over to a friends house and played DnD (good thing too because I was getting tired of losing money!) I loaded up all of my meds, including one 18 gauge needle syringe, with the 23 gauge needle to swap out, my alcohol swabs, etc for the PIO shot.

We got there, and were playing, and my alarm went off indicating it was time to give myself the shot. I went into the spare bedroom, iced down my bum and drew up my medication. I drew up 1mL. I cleaned the area and inserted the needle.

It was about this time that it dawned on me...I was supposed to increase my dose this evening from 1mL to 2mL. I have no other needles, and now that the needle I do have is inside of me (in the muscle in my hip) I have two choices. I either remove the needle, pack everyone up in the car and drive the 45 minutes back home to do the injection properly, or I go ahead and give myself the 1mL I already have in my hip and then give myself the other 1mL when we get home. Now, at this point, I have my pants around my ankles and a long needle in my ass (I mean my "hip") and I can hear my kids having fun, and hubby laughing...what is a good wife and mother to do?

I gave myself the injection, and then when we got home, well after midnight, I injected myself a second time with the second 1mL.

I learned my lesson! The first shot didn't hurt at all...the second shot hurt like a son-of-...Well, you get the idea. I guess the old adage is right: Measure twice, cut once. Next time I go to give myself an injection, I will double check the amount in the syringe before I even bring the needle near my bum!

No comments: